Wednesday 8 April 2009

what a Fungi dinner

Bought some portobello mushrooms over the weekend. I've never seen such huge mushrooms before! You could just hold one and munch on it like you were munching a piece of bread.. this giant is more than 10cm wide! Portobello mushrooms are popular mushrooms for stuffing...Adrian wrote me an email on what to do step by step cause he was still at work. So I just follow his instructions. First, I stuffed them with the leftover 'Quorn beef' bolognese we used for our pasta. Quorn is totally meat free, a type of vegetable protein made to look and taste like meat. I used quorn chicken before and they taste really good, almost like the real deal.

See, aren't this stuff huge?
So there you go, all mushrooms stuffed. Completely pushed down the stuffings with the back of the spoon to make sure the mushrooms are really pack.
Then I sliced up a ball of mozzarella cheese and spread them out on top of the mushrooms. Sprinkle some oregano and drizzle a little olive oil over them. And into the oven they went.
Took them out after 15 - 20mins. I thought I over baked them, coz the mushrooms looked kinda dry. So I used those juice which must have oozed out from the mushrooms and pour them back into the mushrooms.

There you go.. nice stuffed portobello served with couscous and spinach. Couscous is a Mediteranean dish and they are high in protein.

These are yummy! To my surprise, the mushrooms are not dry at all, instead they are really moist and juicy. So healthy, no meat, no fat and high in protein. Will definitely do this again someday. Maybe can try grilling them instead and stuffed them with some other ingredients.

- Steph

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails